Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas Day 2009


     I had looked forward to Christmas Day since everyone was coming to my house for dinner. My sister and I switched this year, she did Thanksgiving and I was to do Christmas. I was expecting 9 people for dinner. My parents, my brother with his family and my sister with her husband would join my b/f and I for dinner.
     However, we woke up Christmas morning to find several inches of fresh snow on the ground and it was still snowing. The driveways were deep, the wind had been blowing as well and there were drifts 3 feet deep. How were we ever going to have company in this mess?
     In anticipation that the roads would be cleared, we began cleaning the house from top to bottom. Working very hard to make sure everything was in its place.
     I had a 20 lb turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes and mashed potatoes ready to make. My Mom was bringing cranberry salad, best-ever jello salad and pies. My sister was making the bread to have with dinner and my sister-in-law had the veggie tray. It was going to be a great dinner.
    Mom said they had drifts up to the tires on my brothers car and the plows had not been down their street yet. Even though Dad said there was nothing that could keep him from a freshly roasted turkey, I had a feeling that the snow would keep everyone away.
    Sure enough, with snow too deep to shovel and no clear roads to travel, everyone stayed home for Christmas Day. Just the 2 of us ate dinner... without the extra things everyone else had. I sure missed not having salads or the pies... 
    It ended up a quiet day, just watching the snow pile up. I don't remember having a Christmas Day before where no one could get to their destination.



No comments: