Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Bench


With a new home of my own, and a blank canvas for my walls, I started to remodel my bedroom this summer. A full summer project to keep me busy. With no one to tell me it was too feminine for their taste, I chose beautiful shades of orange, brown, gold, burgandy and sage for my room. Satins and suedes in solids and stripes. What the room really needed (besides a good coat of golden paint and white crown molding) was a bench to set against the wall. A place to sit or just a nice piece of furniture that I built.

I had the design in my head, I knew exactly what I wanted it to look like. The fabric I wanted was shiny and all the colors in my palate. I set off to the fabric store to find the fabric before I tackled the wood side of the project. Without the perfect fabric, the project would not work. As I entered the store I spotted it right away. Exactly as I have invisioned in my minds eye. Stripes of all the colors: orange, sage green, browns, golds and burgandy. It was perfect! I sewed the cushions for the bench and was then ready for the bench itself.

With cushions in hand I set off to my Father's house to get his help in the design of the bench itself. We determined it's size and made the list of wood I would need. My Dad and I have made a few projects together, I love working by his side and just spending time with him. He gives me tips and tricks of the trade to better my knowledge of wood working. He, of course, wanted to come help me build the bench. In my mind, he would be there to give me tips on what I was doing. To help me by handing me tools and holding the boards as I cut them.

That Saturday, Dad came over so we could build the bench. It was one of his good days, but we would need to work efficently, since he does wear out quickly and some times the pain can be too great. So we set to work, laying out the pieces of wood, measuring and cutting. Then something I did not expect happened. I was handing my Dad the tools and helping him hold the boards to cut them. He was building the bench and I was helping him. I truly treasure the times we have together.. working side by side. It's the greatest feeling in the world. Before long the bench was complete and ready for paint. Dad was exhausted but happy that we had had our time together and that the bench was done.

My remodeled room is beautiful. The bench proudly sitting against the wall. I, however, ended up with more than just a bench to place in my room. I have the most valued treasure of all... I have a bench my Daddy built!

6 comments:

helena said...

wonderful - I love the bench and the story. I too treasure making things with my parents

Jocelyn said...

That is a lovely story, and the bench is just gorgeous, a constant reminder of a beautiful memory with your dad.

sharyncarlson said...

Hi! Stopping by from Shimelle's class. This is a great story, thank you for sharing it and the photo with us :)

Donna B said...

A beautiful story, written from your heart. A bench to remind you
of a fun time with your Daddy. Life goes by in an instant but we
have some memories that stay with us and always bring a smile to us
when we think of them.

Love, Mom

Gennifer said...

Gorgeous! :)

20Birds said...

the story is so wonderful in the telling... and oh a room of ones own... women have been wanting that since before virginia wolfe... i love it