Thursday, November 19, 2009

Scrapbooking Supplies??

In this weeks "Thursday Think Tank" I need your help yet again!  I am very new to scrapbooking, so new I have yet to do a layout. My Mom gave me the Journal Your Christmas class as a gift. I'm really excited about getting it started, but there is only little problem: I HAVE NO SCRAPBOOKING SUPPLIES!!!

On top of that, I have no idea what supplies to purchase to be ready for Journal Your Christmas! I went to the gambling boat this week and hit a jackpot (little to some, but it was big for me!). I've decided part of my winnings should be spent on scrapbooking supplies.

Please leave a comment or two on the types of things I should buy.. things I will need at hand constantly and things that are "nice to have"... 

I can't wait to go shopping!!!!!!!!!!!!!


5 comments:

Kirsten said...

Congratulations! You'll have so much fun scrapbooking...truly! I own a scrapbook store in Arizona & from my experience these are the items that are a my must haves for a beginner:

1. an album

2. cardstock

3. adhesive (use a good tab or dot dispenser...stay away from rubber cement & "smelly" adhesives..not good for your albums!)

4. a good paper trimmer (my favorite is the Fiskar's Premium Crafters Trimmer Item # 01-005249. It sells for about $30 & is fantastic!

5. a good journaling pen (I like Zig Memory Writers...they're dual tip, which is great!)

Beyond that, the rest is just icing on the cake! You can totally go overboard, which can be fun too...but keep it simple in the beginning so you don't get over whelmed. If you're headed to a scrapbook store, you might want to get some decorative papers & some alphabet stickers. That'll get you started!

Good luck & have fun!

shimelle said...

You are too funny! Kirsten has fab advice, definitely. :)
Also, I hear there is a girl in town who might be able to help! Apparently she shops for scrapbooking supplies now and then. Just every once in a while, you understand. Not very often. Of course not. :)

Cate Brickell said...

every scrapper is going to have different advice but the basics will always be the same (even if the choices within those differ - for example some use double sided tape, others swear by glue sticks, still others have 500 types of adhesive, just in case... I admit to being a just in case shopper!)

Beverly said...

Cyndi, Kirsten has the basics covered, I also couldn't live w/o my micro tip scissors. You may have to play around until you find the adhesive you love but there are many good ones. I follow you on the world blog train Sunday so was stopping by to check you out. I did JYC 2 years ago and it's a great way to get an album done and to capture many different aspects of Christmas. Happy sceappin'!

lily.12 said...

Dude, send me your address. I am in the process of cleaning the ridiculous amount of supplies I have, and I'd be more than happy to send some your way!