Wednesday, November 18, 2009

THEN AND NOW!!

Hard to believe just three years ago I was living in the cold and wind of Wyoming. I was making plans for a the biggest change in my life. I was moving 700 miles away, back home to Kansas, to start my life all over again at the age of a young 50.

I hadn't worked a full time job in 10 years. I had been able to be a stay-at-home Mom and raise my two boys. It was a great time for the boys and I. The three of us are very close. I worked odd jobs while they were in school and would be home for them each evening. A new prospective employer may not look favorably upon my recent employment history (or lack there of).

Not having worked in so long I was scared I wouldn't find a job that could support my youngest son and I. Having had 25+ years in insurance and a degree in accounting, I was hoping to find the perfect job with the combination of the two. After a few trips back to Kansas, I had 2 interviews for the job I thought would be exactly what I wanted. Times are different now, it takes companies a long time to make a decision on hiring someone... so I waited....

In the meantime, I needed to find a place to call home. Somewhere that my son and I could live comfortably, not a lot of extra yard work to do and would have an extra room for my oldest son when he came to visit.

After a lot of looking, I finally found the perfect home, a three story townhouse, and it was right across from the high school my son would attend. The price was in my budget and it needed very little work to move in. So I put in my offer with the real estate agent. The problem, I did not have the job yet.

My offer was accepted and I was on my way to purchasing the house. A few days before the closing on my house, the banker called to see how the job hunt was going. I told him about the one I was really interested in, but they had not made an offer to hire me as of yet. I was getting nervous and worried I would lose the house. The banker assurred me that wasn't going to happen. I closed on the house and took possession of it, no job and worried to death what I was going to do.

I began moving in that day. What few belongings I brought back from Wyoming with me. Two hours after I closed and began moving in, my phone rang. The job offer had finally come through. Not only the best of the two jobs they had open, but with a salary we could live on.

The last few years have been wonderful. I've found that I can have my cake and eat it too! I have the perfect house, the perfect job and I'm doing it all on my own. I even went so far as to buy a new Mustang last year. I feel younger than ever and enjoy life to the fullest. My son as adapted to the new surroundings, the new school and has made new friends. He's doing good and really likes it here.

I wonder NOW why I was so worried about things THEN. God made sure all the pieces fell together into perfect harmony for me. I have been so blessed.

No comments: